Serving Idaho & Washington

Best Ridge Cap To Put On A Shingle Roof

Contact Us
ridge cap shingles

How to Cap a Shingle Roof

After a new roof is installed, something needs to cover up the seams between the different surfaces of the roof. These areas are called hips and ridges. The product you'll need for these areas is a ridge cap. But with so many options to choose from, how can you know what is the best ridge cap to use to cover these seams to finish off the roof? Here's some need-to-know information to help you select the right product for your needs.

Types of Ridge Cap

In the old days when 3-tab was a popular choice for shingle, the roofers would simply cut apart the shingles and use them as a ridge cap. This did a good enough job, but now with architectural shingle, using cut shingles is no longer a good solution. The second layer of the laminant will stick up and collect debris, also it just looks bad.

For newer architectural roofs the best ridge cap to use is a specialized one created to be used as ridge cap. A specialized ridge cap shingle comes in strips and is perforated so you can just break it apart before installing. This makes for very even pieces without irregular sizes or cuts making your roof look bad.

Specialized ridge cap also has a tar strip on it to hold the pieces to each other and prevent blow-offs. Because they are made for this particular installation, they will perform much better than anything else. Because of this, CertainTeed will increase the wind warranty of any roof that uses their shingles, starter, and ridge cap to 130 mph. Around here, this basically means if you ever have a blow-off during the wind warranty period it will be covered, as long as the shingle was installed right (if not, then it is a workmanship problem).

When it comes to specialized ridge cap, however, there are a lot of choices now that can make your home stand out and look even better.

Styles of Specialized Ridge Cap

We use mainly CertainTeed shingles, which means we give our clients a choice between their different ridge caps. The two main styles of ridge cap that we put on the most are Shadow Ridge and Mountain Ridge. These will work well with any shingle from a regular architectural shingle to CertainTeed’s luxury shingle called Presidential.

The difference between these two ridge caps are the profile. The Shadow Ridge cap is one layer of fiberglass shingle, so it is very flat looking. The shadow on each shingle is made to give the appearance of a higher profile ridge cap.

Mountain Ridge, on the other hand, is a high profile shingle that makes it really stand out and trim out a roof very well. Each piece of Mountain Ridge cap is five layers at the front so they sit up quite a bit on each other. Many homeowners ask me if Mountain Ridge will catch the wind and blow off, but they also have a nice thick tar strip to prevent blow-offs and each piece weighs significantly more than the regular Shadow Ridge. These two things make it stick down and hold on really well – I’ve never heard of Mountain Ridge having a problem with wind (and if it did, it would be covered by warranty).

There are also other styles of ridge cap that go with particular shingles. Basically if you are using a high end shingle like Carriage House or Grand Manor, you’ll want their Shangle Ridge cap, which is designed to fit these styles of shingle. If you go with their synthetic “slate” shingle Symphony, you’ll want the specialized Symphony Ridge cap to blend with your roof.

What is the Best Ridge Cap?

When picking the ridge cap you want for your roof, it all comes down to personal preference. If you opt for a luxury shingle like Presidential or Landmark TL, we recommend going with Mountain Ridge since it will match the thickness of the roof better and enhances the look of the home. If you’re on a strict budget and just going for a Landmark shingle, then Shadow Ridge cap does just fine. 

Do you have more questions about how to cap a shingle roof? Call New Heights Roofing now at (208) 487-6617.